Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Nervousness of Steel

This week has been really great. Nothing real amazing happened until we got the call. Which always seems to happen when I am in the bathroom. We got a call from our President... President Eaton. My only thought was a dread filled "OH NO!" That was when my worst fears were realized. Elder Mitton explained to me that we would be going on splits with President on Thursday. I started thinking of all the things we could do NOT to go on splits with him. I could pretend to be sick or we could schedule an exchange with our District Leader. I could get an Emergency transfer, etc. Finally at the end of that night I just prayed to our Father in Heaven that I wouldn't totally fail during this split. I was much more calm after I said that prayer.

Thursday came around and we had miracle appointments get set up. We were able to teach Rueben and Alex. When President arrived we got in the car with him and drove to Rueben's house. However Rueben was nowhere in sight. We knocked on his door and this lady answered and we talked to her. President Eaton then flipped out his tablet and shared a video with this lady. We then asked what questions she had from watching the video. She paused for a moment and then asked, "Does God really forgive us of our sins?" We then told her we could teach her more and went in and taught her a little bit about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It was an incredible experience and we have a return appointment with her this week. Her name is Ann.

President was then able to meet Rueben for a few minutes before we left his house. 

We went to the Harris's so we could start teaching Alex. On the way there and we told President that it was going to be very noisy because of the chaotic kids there. That's when president taught about giving the kids of the members an assignment to teach and help the investigator learn. When we did that we were able to teach with a lot less distraction and that was a better spirit present. It was brilliant. 

I learned a ton with President that day.

Then we went on exchanges the next day with our District Leader. I went with Elder Christiansen and Elder William went with Elder Mitton. Elder Christiansen and I were up in the Renton Highlands ward. We had an awesome experience with this guy who told us at first that if we knocked on his door he wouldn't reject us, but at the same time he didn't want any message about the Gospel. Then a few minutes later he started pouring out his heart that he wanted to change, that he wanted more faith in Jesus Christ. Elder Christiansen and I looked at each other and told him we could help him with that. We set up a time then and there to meet with him. I have a strong faith that he is going to get baptized. His name is Cory, I believe.

Then on Sunday it was my birthday! Which I totally forgot about for most of the day. However, I was surprised to see that my favorite dinner had been made at the member's home that was feeding us. The weird slash funny thing was there were just a bunch older than me people there congratulating me. It was great! Then we ate food and the whole time they talked about people dying and how many pills they have to take each day. Which I just laughed about afterward. I love you Grandparents. I also love you mom and the rest of the family.

Well that was my week. Have a great one.

Elder R.K. Northrup

Me with Elder Christiansen

Elder Mitton and Elder Christiansen

No comments:

Post a Comment